Friday, August 01, 2014

Returning to the Classics with PB&J.

One of the most basic sandwiches around is the classic peanut butter and jelly.   It's a childhood favorite (unless you or a classmate have an allergy to peanuts.)  We used to eat them all the time. Crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly on soft (mushy) white bread.  It was even better when cut into four squares, as opposed to triangles.  I remember getting into trouble for not eating the crusts. 



I had forgotten all about PB&J until I found myself making them for our son. He loves them!  Can eat them everyday if I let him... even the crusts.  And that's when I was reintroduced to the perfect sandwich.  It possesses the balanced combination of creamy, crunchy, sweet and salty.  I just love them now!   And with the Fast for the Panagia, it is an easy go-to for protein and energy.  


I still prefer the classic crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly but I toast my wheat bread and cut the slice in half, diagonally.   Do you have a favorite combination you can suggest? Share it with us below.

2 comments:

Barbara Passaris said...

Try peanut butter on raisin bread. It's Fr. Jon's personal favorite.

Liz said...

Spread one slice of bread with the PB, smooth or chunky. Then slice a banana fairly thick and press the slices into the PB. Add another slice of bread on top of the bananas. Cutting the sandwich into two rectangles seems to work the best. Yummy with a glass of milk. If fasting, lemonade would be good or vanilla almond milk. I prefer raspberry or strawberry jam, but I can understand the grape thing. : )